Friday, January 2, 2009

Phase 2 of Twin Parenting

My identical twin girls, P and E, are now 15 months old and I have held out on creating a blog until now. There is no question that the first year of parenting twins is TOUGH, and now I think I am entering the second phase of Twin Tough Parenting; Teaching them how to interact with you and others. The topic of which I find lacking on the internet. The Mother of Multiples club that I am in helps alot, but everyone's situation is still a little different. If anyone has tips, please let me know. So, I am posting this for my sake and others.

You know that iconic twin symbol of a mother with two toddlers in each hand pulling the mother every which way? Well, that was me a few weeks ago. I was leaving Gymboree and trying to get them to walk with me back to the car. (They were early walkers). After a bit of a struggle (it was really quite comical to onlookers) I kneeled and trapped them against me. I then pointed to where we were going and said that we going to the car and that the car was around the corner; All of which I am pretty sure they didn't understand, but at least I said it in a stern voice and helped me refocus on the goal as oppposed to focusing on containing them. I think that it helped focus them as well, since they both started walking in the right direction. One of them would get distracted and want to check out the newstand or something, but I kept talking to them and reminding them to "walk with Mommy" and encouraging them when they did a good job. I almost lost them when some people walked by and exclaimed the usual "are they twins?" comments, but I kept talking to them and just gave the people a nod. Ever since then, it's been all right. At least, to and from Gymboree. They still resist holding my hand most of them time.

My current problem is keeping one of them by the car while I take or put one of them in the carseat while the other one is waiting. One time, P stood by for a moment and then thought it would be fun to run around the parking lot! That was quite a fright! I used to keep the nonseated one in the minivan, but then she climbed over stuff (they are very adept at moving at this age) and I had a hard time trying to get her out since she thought that we were playing. A leash for that particular situation would be good, but not for all others.

No comments:

Post a Comment